Monday, March 24, 2008

Go West young man... err, South

There comes a time in everyone's life, or at least in mine, when I have to move on. With that in mind I picked up and moved from Ketchikan, Alaska to Seattle, Washington. No, I did not have a job, but got one within a couple of weeks as the CFO of a company in Kent, Washington.

What can I say about the experience? Was I scared, daunted or any such thing? No, I was not, as I have stepped, more than once, across such a precipice and come out better than before. Newness is not a problem with me and I am enjoying the Seattle area a great deal. Over the next few days I will post some thoughts about what I have and am experiencing and hope to experience in the next few years.

One of the things people seemed all worked up about is the traffic. OK, there are traffic jams and places you do not want to visit at certain times of the day or week if you want to get anywhere, but overall the traffic I have seen is, if anything, better than it was when I left Seattle 14 years ago for Alaska. Granted, I have a limited commute that is also pretty much a reverse commute, but I see the other traffic and it is not that bad. OK, too many cars, including my own, have only one person in it, but that is nothing new. The buses I see on the freeway seem pretty full. If I had a commute that would be convenient to use a bus for I would and the new light rail system looks interesting. We will see how this all works out.

Pictures. Seattle is very photogenic and I hope to take some cool pictures over the next few months. I will post them here and on Picasa or both.

So, here I am in Seattle... and no, it is not a rainy city. Relatively speaking they get 25% as much rain as they do in Ketchikan, Alaska, so when I hear people complain about the weather here I laugh at them.

Till later...

No comments: